1. Change your shoes – You’re smart… You’ve spent years developing your expertise. But have you forgotten what it’s like to be a beginner? If you have you’ll find it difficult to train those new to your field of expertise. So take a step back, put yourself in your trainee’s shoes and adapt your delivery method accordingly. If you can't remember ask a relative newbie to reflect on what they would like to have known first and rearrange your teaching from this place.
2. Familiarise yourself with the levels of learning – Like everything in life learning is a process and has different levels, keep these top of mind not only when you’re developing your content but also when you’re on the floor facilitating.
Level 1: Your trainees don't know what they don't know
Level 2: Your trainees know they don't know it
Level 3: Your trainees know it with help
Level 4: Your trainees know it without thinking about it
Your job is to get them from 1 to 4, but the key difference for a fully effective workforce is between levels 3 and 4, where they will change from competency to mastery, this is when a skill comes naturally because they have practiced it over and over until it becomes a habit.
3. Remember less is more – Don’t overload your trainees with content. I can help you write learning objectives where your content is prioritised around what you want to achieve rather than what you want to teach.
4. Avoid death by power point – Utilise a range of training activities and visual aids that meet the needs of the participants; let me help you develop these so that your trainees will be energised and interested all day, never suffering from the dreaded after lunch slump.
5. Practice the art of crowd control – Devise strategies that allow you to confidently deal with the hecklers and the talkative participants or draw out the quiet trainees. I can give you the tools to effectively manage your audience so you have more confidence and more importantly your trainees learn!
I’d love to help you inspire and ignite action in your people so that you can transform your business. Email me for a complimentary one-on-one training needs session.