- Do you have what it takes to become an industry influencer?
- Are you a business owner, self-employed or an expert in your field?
- Would your peers be prepared to pay for your knowledge?
Throughout my twenty-five years working within my industry niche of training and delivery I’ve learnt that my clients have one thing in common; they all want to deliver information to their audience with confidence so a transformation takes place. That transformation can take many forms…
- If they’re selling a product or service they will want to close a deal.
- Managers or business owners may be aiming to up skill their team or change staff behaviour.
- Working within a large organisation, my clients may need colleagues to come on board with an initiative or a plan.
- As an expert in a niche, they may have knowledge they need to share with the public or their peers.
Abraham Lincoln once said, “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe”, and there lies the secret to every successful project… Planning and preparation.
As an expert in a niche industry, or a manager who knows more than their staff, it’s easy to forget what it is like to be a beginner who knows very little about a subject, so the first step to becoming an influencer is taken when you wear your audience’s shoes. To do this you need to ask yourselves the following questions.
- What age are your audience?
- What gender are they?
- Where will you find them?
- What might their learning style be?
- What previous knowledge or experience do they have?
- Have some of their previous experiences been bad ones?
- How are they likely to feel about the topic you’re covering or the information you’re sharing?
- How do you want them to feel at the end of your session?
Only after answering these important planning questions, will you be able to dive into the content of the information you wish to impart.
Here’s a great Toolbox Tip for really getting to know your audience. Interview someone who is an ideal customer or delegate; ask them what their top five challenges or issues are and work your way back from there.
If you want to discover the next steps on your path to becoming an influencer then register for Trainers Toolbox, where we create a Lesson Plan that you can use with your own audience. Register HERE.